Tuesday 16 November 2010

Travelling to Cape Town (written on 15/11/2010

20:00

Well that's me in the air. Next stop, Cape Town, South Africa. I really like BA, especially when someone else is paying the premium for the flight! Thank you BAS! I used to fly a lot when I worked at sea with Global Marine Systems. In the three years I spent maintaining subse cables I must've flown around the world three times with various carriers. The best for hospitality were BA but the worst by far were KLM followed very closely by TAP. JAL were fine hosts too. Their food was questionable although dyed-in-wool sushi fans would probably disagree. 

Eleven hours to go and I get to see one of the worlds most famous natural landmarks, Table Top Mountain. There are a couple of mandatory BAS related activities to be undertaken during the three day stay in CT. Whilst the day of arrival will essentially be a rest day, day two will see all those individuals who are heading south being kitted out with the Antarctic kit as fitted at Cambridge. Probably just to check that the wearer hasn't put on a couple of stone since the initial fitting. The third day is a pre flight briefing regarding the next leg of the journey, the flight to Novo on the Russian Ilyushin transporter. I hope that there is time to get in a wee bit of exploring. Todays sad news of a honeymooning bride being carjacked and killed in a township just outside CT will keep my feet firmly on the 'safe' tourist routes.



No comments:

Post a Comment