Monday 15 November 2010

At Cambridge

Well the sleeper from Glasgow to London was as expected. I bought a seat as I was too tight to pay for a berth. Boy, did I pay for that!!!!!! The train company has fitted high powered radiators in the seated area to ensure it's passengers fall into and maintain a comatose state. Unfortunately, I was sitting right next to one of those radiators. The right hand side of my body was sweating profusely for the entire journey. That was very uncomfortable and post journey analysis shows that one side of my body is now noticeably thinner than the other side!!!!!!

Got into Euston and walked to Kings Cross where I caught the express to Cambridge. The journey up was splendid. A stunningly beautiful, crisp and clear sunrise with a slight ground mist. Very pleasant. Cambridgeshire is such a beautiful county.

So, I have arrived at Cambridge relatively intact (if a wee bit thinner...down the one side). A taxi is booked at 13.30 to take me to Heathrow where I shall catch a BA flight to Cape Town, SA at 19.30. I have about three days in Cape Town prior to flying out to the Russian base Novolazarevskaya (Novo) in East Antarctica.

Whilst in Cape Town I there may be a wee bit of free time available so I may have the chance to catch the cable car to the top of Table Top Mountain. Chris, the BAS Chef who was in Cape Town last week, was very brave and actually managed to swim with Great White sharks (he was in a cage). So that's an interesting possibility. I'll see what happens and how the time in Cape Town will be organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment