Wednesday 17 November 2010

Cape Town (Day 2)

Well, it's late evening and all I can hear from my hotel room window is a chorus drone of Vuvuzelas as SA take on the USA in a soccer friendly (like I give a toss).

Today a few Morrison construction lads and I took the cable car to the top of Table Mountain. What an awesome experience. The views were exceptional. It will take a few days to stitch the panoramic piccy's together (once I have sussed out how to do that). When they are completed I will post them here. But, once again, nature provides………….



This morning was kitting out day at the BAS depot in Cape Town. Basically most folk were plied with Antarctic clothing but as I had this done three months ago in Cambridge there really was not much for me to do. Once that task was completed the day was our own. So, afterward, up Table Mountain we went.

Overall, I'm chuffed that I went to the top. I have achieved! To explain, when I worked at sea I kind of 'blew it'. There was an occasion, so long ago, when I had just started working for Global Marine Systems Ltd. as a cable jointer come systems tech and my very first job was in Nagasaki, Japan. Instead of visiting the Peace Park and immersing myself in that whole vibe, I spent the whole day getting drunk in a Holiday Inn with the rest of the sailors. As we sailed out there was no doubt in my mind that I had squandered a wonderful opportunity....and I promised myself then....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!



So, the top of Table Mountain was traversed....and still the Vuvuzelas drone on……………


No comments:

Post a Comment